Thursday 13 February 2014

Bookbinding, week 6

If I had made it to the class last week I would have a finished book right now! The teacher's plan was that we would all make a book before the half-term break and then a box for the book after the break; alas, I will be one of the people finishing my book after half-term.

I took twice as many photographs as I've posted here, but basically this week was all about building up the spine with layers of paper. The first layers were folded to create a hollow that the book cloth will eventually be tucked into, but after that it was just cutting and gluing rectangles into place. Unsurprisingly, the side furthest from you is the side you mess up and don't cover properly!




With the spine built up, the next step is to cut slits at the end of spine to open up its hollow centre.


Finally, use the book to measure a template for the book cloth and then cut the book cloth to size.



Next week is half-term so there won't be a bookbinding post. The week after I'll be gluing the book cloth to the boards and gluing down the endpapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment