Monday 11 July 2011

Exhibition, part 2

More pictures from the show, this time of my own work! The fantastic photograph below was taken by Jay Alix, the rest are my own.


The prints showing the different layers of anatomy in a hand got a great response, particularly from people with a medical background, several of whom stopped to chat with me about their work and their own interest in the human body.







I originally intended to make one large piece consisting of multiple layers, all of which could be opened. This wasn't possible in the end due to time constraints, but these two pieces developed from that that early idea. The top piece is a pouch, which can be unzipped to reveal the lower layers, while in the bottom piece each of the layers hangs separately making it possible to see around each layer to whatever's below it. Sadly, my photographs don't capture many of the details, such as the printed skeleton in the lower image.



The sculptural pieces became much more abstract in the end. I had originally intended that things would look more realistic, but in the end the materials dictated a different direction. The piece below was inspired by muscle textures. It was partially knitted with lycra so it also stretches like muscles.



The hat made a reappearance for the show due to its thematic appropriateness.


And here's the ribcage with the lungs. I'm pleased with how this turned out in the end - both cartoony and creepy.




The exhibition has been an amazing experience, and I'd like to say a huge thank you to Jane and Lena, (who run the gallery), Ann Gordon, (who oversaw the volunteers on Saturday), and everybody who has come to see the show so far. (If you haven't seen it, it's on for two more days!)

So, what's next? Well, I'm planning to go back to Morley College in the autumn to continue studying textiles, but I've got a couple of projects to keep me occupied until then. I'll be writing about both of them here as they progress, as well as restarting Watercolour Wednesdays and posting the usual exhibition reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment