Tuesday 29 March 2011

Bone Helm (req. level: 21; req. strength: 25)


The hat/headpiece/bone helm is now finished.

The material underneath it, (a mixture of dyed and pleated fabric and knitting), ended up looking more like a hijab than an arming cap, which I'm unsure about. Though I started off looking at military helmets, the final thing has more of a religious or ceremonial look to it.

The main structure is actually held onto the head by means of an Alice band hastily constructed from a wire coat hanger, covered in more knitted fabric and sewn to the largest vertebrae. This was necessary due to the weight of the pelvi, which was pulling everything backwards. With the headband the whole thing stays in place quite comfortably.









The teeth along the bottom of the knitted fabric are functional as well as decorative. They're actually buttons that hold the two ends of the knitting together.

Sadly, I couldn't figure out a way to work my jawbones in. I carved two of them, originally intending to sew them to the headscarf on either side of the wearer's jaw. This didn't look right though and I abandoned the idea.


I had a fantastic time with this project. If I had the time I'd make a second version, this time painting the bones before wiring them together, (painting the ribs after wiring them was a complete pain), and redesigning both the vertebrae and the headscarf.

So, does anybody need a hat?

No comments:

Post a Comment