Saturday 13 September 2014

Curtain

I live in a first floor flat. It's a nice place, but when we moved in it was cold. This was mostly due to the hilarious lack of insulation in the loft. That was sorted out pretty quickly and things improved a lot. However, on particularly cold days there was still a draft coming up the stairs and straight into the main bedroom.


The best solution seemed to be to put a curtain at the top of the stairs to keep the heat in and the cold out. You can see in the picture above that the curtain rail has already been put up.
 
So, how hard is it to make a curtain? I used these instructions and it was straightforward, but you need lots of space. My home is good size for a flat on the edge of London, but it's not really big enough to spread out several metres of fabric.


The curtain material came from John Lewis, where it was on sale, while the lining and header tape came from Remnant Kings. I had curtain hooks left over from hanging other curtains and the curtain rail was donated by my in-laws. I bought thermal lining for extra insulation.










It's finished and I'm really pleased with how it looks. I'm going to have to wait for the temperature to drop before I know how good it is at insulating the flat though.

No comments:

Post a Comment