Sunday 18 January 2015

T-shirt cushion cover


This t-shirt was one of the first presents that my husband ever bought me. It is 10 years old and doesn't really fit me any more, but I am too sentimental about it to hand it over to a charity shop. Instead I looked online for something to do with it and found this Jezebel post on turning a t-shirt into a cushion cover.


I got a 14" square cushion for £3.15 (including postage!) from a third-party seller on Amazon.



I cut a 13" square template as the description of the cushion on Amazon advised using a cover that was one size smaller than the cusion. (I salvaged the Ilford, Wanstead, Woodford Yellow Advertiser from the recycling bin to make the template).


There is no going back once you've cut the t-shirt in half!




I think everything above is pretty self-explanatory. I followed the instructions from Jezebel and only worried that everything had gone horribly wrong once, when I was sewing the peices together. I did have to hem an extra edge as the t-shirt I was using was smaller than the Iowa t-shirt Jenna Sauers used. This meant I couldn't use the bottom of the t-shirt to make both back pieces. The hem I sewed is hidden by the other back piece that uses the t-shirt's own hem.


And here it is. I'm glad this guy is getting a new lease of life after approximately half a decade at the back of my wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment