Saturday 5 April 2014

Bookbinding, week 12

This is my final bookbinding post! It's a long one as it covers everything about making the little soft-cover jotter except folding the paper.

It starts with the sections being sewn together. I wrapped a sheet of cream paper around every other green section before sewing the sections so that the cream is evenly distributed throughout.




Next, the spine is glued.


The book is trimmed to the correct size.


This book also has a ribbon bookmark, which is glued in at this point.


My phone battery died at this point in the class. I made a cover for the book in the class, but was disappointed with it so I decided to make a second cover at home and continue photographing the process.

Here's the trimmed book with mull and paper glued to the spine on top of the ribbon.



Then cut a cover for the book. The spine piece is the width of the text block spine, but 2mm longer than the text block, while the covers are 2mm taller and 1mm wider than the text block.


Glue the pieces of card to a piece of cloth leaving a 1mm gap between each piece. Leave about 200mm of cloth around the edge of the card.



Cut the corners off.


Glue the edges of the cloth down.


Then glue the cover to the text block. Easy!


I like this one more than the hardback.



This was a great course and I feel as though I could certainly make the soft-cover jotter again at home, (I'm less sure about the hardback). It was taught by the extremely talented – and very patient – Young Kim, whose work you can see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment