Sunday 21 April 2013

Cake pops

This is a bit of a change from what I usually blog about, but I don't have any textile craft projects that I can write about at the moment and these came out looking so good that I wanted to share them! I made cake pops this weekend for a friend's birthday. They're basically lollipops made out of cake. I followed this video tutorial, but there are plenty of other sites with instructions for making them.

You start by making some cake. I used the fool-proof Victoria sponge recipe that came free with my blender. It's the best sponge recipe I've ever used.


Then you destroy your cakes! I broke mine up in my blender.


While I made my own cake, I cheated and bought the icing.


Combine icing and cake crumbs and roll into balls.


Refrigerate. Watch South Park.


Add lollipop sticks.


I got lollipop sticks, foil wrappers and edible glitter from Hobbycraft.


All of the recipes I looked at online used candy melts to make the coating. Hobbycraft sells these as well, but they didn't look like they tasted very nice so I used real chocolate for the coating instead. (I don't have three hands; a friend was helping me with this!)


Sprinkle with edible glitter and stand in styrofoam to dry. I thought they were going to drip everywhere, but the chocolate set quickly.


After some more time in the fridge I wrapped them in foil wrappers that were slightly too small.


They were very, very sweet. Whether or not that's a recommendation is up to you! For amazing cake pop designs have a look at Bakerella's blog. Her stuff is ridiculously elaborate.

Happy birthday, Alex!

No comments:

Post a Comment