Sunday 20 January 2013

Colette Peony dress

I made a dress!


This is the Peony dress from Colette Patterns. I made the second version of the pattern, which has short sleeves, a matching belt and no pockets. The pattern is supposed to have a concealed zip, but I don't have a concealed zip foot for my sewing machine so I put in a conventional centred zip. The fabric came from Middlesex Textiles on Middlesex Street, (halfway between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East). Both fabric and pattern are hilariously inappropriate for the current weather, (it's snowing), so it might be a few months before I actually wear this outside.

The original plan was that this would be a test of both my dressmaking skills and the pattern prior to making something with this skeleton fabric. I don't have quite enough of the skeleton fabric to make another Peony dress, but I don't think I want to make a second version of it after all. The bodice fit isn't great – something that a lot of other people online have pointed out – and I don't really want to spend hours moving the darts around to try and fix it. The pattern is very well written though; it was a breeze to follow, with the slight exception of the belt, which took me two attempts to figure out. (Interestingly, very few other people writing online appear to have made the belt!)


So I'm back to looking for a pattern for the skeleton fabric, although at least I'm now confident that I can make a dress. Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment