Sunday 12 June 2011

Adventures in sewing

For my birthday my parents – who to the best of my knowledge account for two thirds of the regular readers of this blog – bought me a new sewing machine: a Janome 7025 from John Lewis.

As it was bought off the shop floor I got a free lesson in how to use it as well. So, newly equipped and educated I sat down this weekend to combine this lovely fabric:



and this book:

to make this adorable summer top:


It didn't go so well.

To start with I don't think my fabric was light enough, so it didn't really drape, it just stuck out looking like a floral-patterned sack even with something wrapped around my waist. However, the pattern also seems to be shorter and much wider than you'd expect from the picture above. There was so much extra fabric flapping around me that I took a pair of scissors to it, cut about an inch out of the centre and put in buttons, turning it into a sleeveless shirt.


The reason there's no picture of me wearing it is because this wasn't much of an improvement. It still looks voluminous and now the neckline is weird. At least I know how to use the buttonhole foot though.

I did succeed in making a cushion cover, using this very simple and highly-recommended pattern.



No comments:

Post a Comment