Wednesday 6 April 2011

Metrozone

I saw this on io9 yesterday.

And did a double-take, because I saw this in the real world last week. It was painted in Leake Street, although I think it's already been painted over.

It turns out that it's part of an advertising campaign to promote Simon Morden's Metrozone trilogy, the first instalment of which, Equations of Life, comes out this week in the UK. The three graffiti pieces are designed to reflect the (very cool) book covers.

I have slightly mixed feelings about this. I think the io9 commentator who wrote “When a company does it, it's called advertising. When anyone else does it, it's called vandalism.” expresses some of my ambivalence pretty well. On the one hand, it's a cool and original idea, but on the other hand, part of the reason I like grafitti is the fact that it's not trying to sell me something.

Of course, unlike most adverts, this has already disappeared beneath somebody else's artwork.

A plot summary-heavy review of Equations of Life can be found on io9 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment