Tuesday 25 January 2011

Screen printing


With a screen finally prepared I was able to make my first screen prints on Monday. We're using a photo-emulsion technique to make screens, (Wikipedia has a good explanation of this technique), which allows for a lot of detail and a high level of reuse, but does mean a lot of time spent waiting for the screen to dry.

The design on the screen above combines my two human vertebrae drawings with reversed versions of the same images. My plan is to use the negative and positive images in combination to create prints with two colours. Unfortunately, I didn't get as far as applying the second colour on Monday.






The five prints above were made on different materials: calico, silk, two pieces of dyed muslin, and paper. Next week I'll add a second colour to these prints and experiment with printing on more surfaces, including linoleum.

No comments:

Post a Comment