Wednesday 22 December 2010

Graffiti

These photos were all taken on Leake Street, a street near Waterloo station that connects York Road with Lower Marsh. Most of Leake Street is a tunnel that runs underneath the railway line. This tunnel is a "designated graffiti area", where people can paint without any risk of arrest.







I heard a rumour recently that there were plans to close Leake Street. I can't find anything online to confirm this though, so I hope it's not true. I walk through Leake Street four times a week and I absolutely love it. All the colour and energy can really brighten up my day, and it changes every week so I never get bored of walking through it.

The London Vandal have a recent post regarding legal graffiti spots in London. This explains the exact status of Leake Street, (technically illegal to paint there, but its owners, the British Rail Residuary Body, won't take action against anybody), and also shows how maddeningly difficult it can be to get straight answers from London councils.

No comments:

Post a Comment