Friday 12 November 2010

Papercraft

One of my college tutors set my class an interesting exercise recently. We were asked to each bring in an object and then make a 3D model of our chosen object from paper or card. The model had to be assembled without glue or tape and it had to be possible to dismantle it and pack it flat.
In the classroom I found the exercise to be agonisingly difficult, but later on inspiration struck and I was gripped with the desire to perfect it.
This was my object.


Version 1, made during the class. Far too complex with too many parts, it also required tape to hold it together. Utter failure.

Version 2. Inspired by the design of a FedEx box, I substantially revised the model, making it much simpler.

Version 3. It's not very easy to dismantle and pack flat, but it requires no glue or tape.

And it's wearable!

And just in case anybody out there is asking themselves “how on earth can I make a watch out of paper?”, here are my instructions for doing just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment