Tuesday 3 August 2010

A book based on a journey, part 2

So, armed with 60 photographs documenting my journey to work, I sat down to develop a new plan for the book. I started by writing down the bare structure of my journey – the roads and tube stations that I use. Giving each of these a page, and the tube journey two pages, gave me a much more manageable 14 pages.

Then I looked through my photographs and made notes about which images could potentially be used on each page. This exercise quickly revealed that I was missing images for five pages entirely and there were two pages that I really needed more images for. Almost half of my photos were taken on one street, which could easily have a spread to itself. However, I decided to spread its images into the street that follows it, rather than extend that page. I wanted an even number of pages so that the book's contents didn't spill out onto its cover, but I couldn't see anywhere else that could be expanded or contracted. The two roads do merge in real life, (i.e. there's no sharp turn from one into the other), and significant portion of the images are taken from the point where they merge so it seemed to make more sense to do it this way. I now had a flat-plan for the book, a rough layout of what should go where.


With a new general layout worked out I put together a mock version of the book using some plain A4 paper I had on hand.


I now needed to figure out the layout for the individual pages. (One idea that crossed my mind while working on this was possibly returning to the idea of the same journey repeated five times, but having the journeys running parallel to each other rather than consecutively, differentiating them by using different techniques. I scrapped that idea as I couldn't come up with five different mediums that I'd be comfortable using.) I sat down and started sketching out rough layouts of some of the pages. At the moment I'm envisioning a comic book layout using the photographs I've taken. Visually similar to the webcomic A Softer World, (though probably without the dark and absurdist humour), but with more varied panel layouts.

Though for this to work I still need to take more photographs!

No comments:

Post a Comment