Wednesday 7 July 2010

Holiday homework

On 7th July I received my “holiday” homework.* There are two parts to it: a list of exhibitions to visit if possible and a project to work on over the summer.

The exhibition list is a mixture of textile and non-textile shows, (presumably to encourage us to broaden our horizons). Below is the list along with my annotations regarding closing dates and prices:

Textiles Advanced Workshop @ Morley College Gallery
July 15
th – FREE

Henry Moore @ Tate Britain
August 8
th – £12.50

Architects Build Small Spaces @ V&A
August 30th – FREE

Maison Martin Margiela @ Somerset House
September 5th – £6

Sustainable Futures @ Design Museum
September 5th – £8.50

Magnificent Maps @ British Library
September 19th – FREE

Wolfgang Tillmans @ Serpentine Gallery
September 19th – FREE

Skin @ Wellcome Collection
September 26th – FREE

Horrockses Fashions @ Fashion & Textile Museum
October 24
th – £6.50

The Ministry of Food @ Imperial War Museum
January 3rd – £4.95

Trash Fashion @ Science Museum
February 2011 – FREE

Well, now I regret not going to the Imperial War Museum when James' parents were paying! Cash concerns aside, it's an interesting list. I have high expectations for “Skin” as I saw the “Heart” show at the Wellcome Collection back in 2007 and that was brilliant. I'm also looking forward to “Magnificent Maps” and “Trash Fashion”. I'm less excited about Henry Moore, (mostly because of the price), and Maison Martin Margiela, (because I've never heard of it/them). I was definitely intrigued to learn that the Fashion and Textile Museum is pretty close to my flat – I had no idea.

And now to the project. I don't know why, but I'd got the impression it would be some sort of research thing. It's not. Here's the brief:

The project this year is to make a book based on the theme of a journey.

The journey that you chose could be a very small one such as, the journey of an ant through the grass, or your once in a lifetime trip to Bermuda – or something in between.


The book can be constructed in any form, can be made from any sort of materials and marks can be made using any media.

The project will be getting a much longer entry at a later date!

*I'm working full time until the week the course starts. It's really only holiday work from the point of view of the tutor!

No comments:

Post a Comment